Sunday, July 3, 2011

Why I Love America

If there's one thing I did on a regular basis in Namibia - other than eating brownie batter and watching too many TV shows - it was talk about America with Amy. I lovelovelove Africa. And pretty much the idea of ANY place in the world. Call it wanderlust, call it what you will. But living far from home has helped me discover a newfound appreciation for the good ol' U S of A.

I love BBQs, hot dogs, hamburgers, cheesy potatoes, and mac&cheese.

I love fireworks, slip 'n slides, and kiddie pools.

I love neighborhoods, sidewalks, street football games, playgrounds, and pick-up softball at the park.

I love my extended family.

I love processed American foods. Ho-hos, cheese balls, Doritos, Chips Ahoy, and M&Ms.

I love American stores like Publix, Old Navy, and most of all, Target (but not really Wal-Mart).

I love board games and bookstores.

I love Funfetti in all shapes and sizes (but mostly in oversized cookies and underbaked brownies).

This July 4th, I've been meditating on America's independence and democracy. After all, that's the reason we celebrate this day. This year, I'm especially reminded of all the countries that don't get to celebrate independence yet. I'm reminded of Zimbabwe, the Ivory Coast, and Libya. I'm reminded of soon-to-be-independent states like South Sudan. I'm reminded of recently independent countries like Namibia and Rwanda. 

As America celebrates its 235th birthday, I feel removed from "Independence." On March 21, 2011, Namibia's 21st birthday, the ONLY thing being celebrated was freedom. It's so new, so fresh, so real. Freedom is certainly something many of us take for granted in America since it's all we've ever known. Having experienced Namibia's very new independence - as well as its continued struggles in gaining real social freedoms - I have a greater appreciation for the rights I have in America. Perhaps this is a product of my sheltered, (mostly) white suburban upbringing. I am certainly aware that many Americans still struggle to experience equality in our precious country.

However, as I celebrate the 4th of July this year, I'm not celebrating Funfetti or backyard barbecues or Toy Story Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. I love America because it's my home. Even with its faults, I will always love it and be drawn to it. And ultimately, I believe that's the reason all of us around the world celebrate our respective countries every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment