Saturday, July 30, 2011

Nashville Nugget No. 7 - Mas Tacos

Hey readers! Today, I want you to welcome dear friend and guest blogger Ally Thompson (remember her?). A fellow foodie, she quickly called dibs on writing this post after we ate at Mas Tacos with our lunch buddy Jillian last week. Thanks for your contribution to Nashville Nuggets, Ally!

You may recognize me from Karen's Grilled Cheeserie entry...obviously, I love food and I love East Nashville. Anywho, in order to resurrect our pre-Namibia tradition of Tuesday lunches, Karen and I decided to take lunch to Jillian at work. I've been scoping out all the hip places in East Nasty to try, so I knew just what to bring to Jill...MAS TACOS! It's a sketchy little taco shack with weird hours just down the street from my house. (check it...732 McFerrin Ave, they also have a food truck!) So Karen and I dropped in about 11:30 to pick up a mess of tacos and take them to Commons to see Jill. Important fact about Mas Tacos: THEY ONLY TAKE CASH. This is good, because it limits the number of delicious tacos I can eat, but also means you have to come prepared. Anyways, WORTH IT. The kindly hipster behind the counter suggested that two tacos would make for a good lunch, so I ordered a fried avocado taco and a quinoa and sweet potato taco for myself, and a cast-iron chicken and pulled pork taco for Jillian. All of the tacos are served with lime wedges, cilantro, and a red cabbage slaw on top (that Karen thought a bit too spicy, but I loved!). The fried avocado taco was crispy and the creamy texture of the avocado contrasted nicely with the crunchy slaw. The quinoa/sweet potato taco was FULL of well-spiced quinoa and strips of stewed sweet potato (although I must say, the sweet potato didn't add a lot overall!). The cast-iron chicken taco was served with a green tomatillo sauce that was perfectly tangy and gave it an enchilada-sort of feel. My favorite part about these tacos have to be the tortillas - homemade, warm, corn tortillas with just enough chew, and they triple-wrap the tacos, so there is plenty of tortilla to love! Mas Tacos has a lot of other fun menu items to try, including agua frescas in all different summer flavors, and elote, a type of Mexican grilled corn that I can't wait to try! I'll be going back soon!



Mas Tacos is located by Ally's house in East Nashville at 732 McFerrin Ave...or you can follow their Tweets and find their roaming food truck!

No comments:

Post a Comment