Monday, June 13, 2011

Why I Love M&Ms

Let me preface this by admitting that I am a recovering addict. There may or may not have been a time in my life when I became addicted to chocolate and had serious affects from withdrawal. Okay, scratch the "may not." Embarrassing? Maybe.

But despite my lowered chocolate consumption, I will always love M&Ms. They are Marvelous&Magnificent. Mini&Multicolored. Mesmerizing&Moving. Mysterious&Magical.

They're even better when they're Multitudinous&Melty.

This weekend, I left a big bag of M&Ms in my car in the hot Nashville heat, which is how they became melty. Never fear - this created for the best kind of M&M on my roadtrip home. And what better to do on a roadtrip and ponder why you love them so? Let me count the ways.

1.  Even after the heat, the candy shell stays solid. Only the inside melts, so when you bite into one, the chocolate explodes in your mouth. Delightful. Don't worry about the slimy condensation on the outside.
2.  They don't try to be healthy. They don't pretend to be fruity (ahem, Skittles). They don't try to lower their sugar or fat content. They're proud of who they are.
3.  They provide a safe arena for obsessive organizers to exercise their craft. You can organize them by color. You can eat all of one color first or try to make an even number of each color. You can organize them in lines or circles or pie charts or...
4.  You can create mosaic artwork with them.
5.  You can eat them super fast in big honking handfuls or savor them by letting one melt at a time in your mouth
6.  You can print a personalized message or your FACE on them - what?! I'm thinking wedding reception favors...
7.  There are a bajillion different colors (see M&M store in NYC). And varieties. I just had peanut M&Ms for the first time a few weeks ago.
8.  The Easter mix has Easter-themed pictures on them and tastes way better than any other seasonal mix.
9.  They're available anywhere. But don't eat the ones sold in the Tanzanian airport.

But most of all?

10. You can share them with all your friends.

1 comment: