Thursday, July 14, 2011

Rub-A-Dub-Dub

I know you've all been anxiously awaiting the hygiene post.

2011 has been a year of ever-changing cleanliness habits. And now it's time for the TMI and dirty truth (pun fully intended).

As my most insightful readers probably noticed early on, I had a little list posted on my wall that I affectionately called "Nam by the Numbers." This was a way to keep track of the most shocking things I did in Namibia; things that appalled me in 2010 but were strangely normal in 2011. It included events like cold showers, cockroaches, handwashing, and trips to Oshikango.

"Nam by the Numbers" next to my desk on tiny blue construction paper
While I thought it would be sweet Namibian revenge to boast about just how many cold showers I survived while in the bush, it unfortunately became a very accurate account of just how little I showered or washed my clothes in Namibia. After 100 days in country, I had only just reached 30 showers.

And guess what? I turned out okay. I didn't get any diseases. I only occasionally found a cockroach in my pants. NBD.

Showers and I have always a mixed relationship. On one hand, I love the time it gives me to think and stretch my vocal cords. There really are not many things better in life than long, hot showers.

But those who know me well know that I'm quick to give up the Almighty Shower. Really, you shouldn't wash your hair every day anyways. It adjusted to the shower-every-four-days routine after a while. Showers also take up three to twenty minutes of precious time. And as long as I liberally reapply deodorant, I don't smell that foul. Let's be honest: no one else in Namibia was showering that often, let alone shaving their legs. Why should I?

All of this was fine and dandy until I returned to the good ol' U.S. of A. LAND OF THE GLORIOUS HOT SHOWER! I basked, I bathed, I melted in the hot goodness of the water pressure.

But wait...shaving? Blow drying? Plucking my eyebrows? Makeup? Picking out acceptable outfits?Not wearing Chacos everyday (let alone figuring out how to make them stop smelling so foul)? There are so many things to remember here! Some people might argue, "why worry about it if you learned to live without it?" Well, some things are socially unacceptably to omit from your hygiene routine, like shaving your legs...

And you know what I've relearned in the past month? It's great to feel pretty, to feel good, to feel like a woman, as Shania would tell you.

So that's your insiders look at readjusting to America. It's not just cultural or emotional - it's also hygienal(?). Here's to better hygiene habits for the rest of 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment