Thursday, July 21, 2011

Nashville Nugget No. 1 - Elliston Place Soda Shop

Welcome to the first edition of Nashville Nuggets! I'm getting really pumped about all the unique Nashville eateries in which I have the privilege to indulge. This first Nashville Nugget came on the radar very suddenly and unexpectedly.

Iconic Elliston Place Soda Shop sign
Tuesday morning, a dear Vanderbilt alum located in Huntsville, AL, frantically emailed me to deliver the sad news that the Elliston Place Soda Shop was closing. The Soda Shop is an institution in Nashville and has been in its location for nearly 72 years. My roommate, Kelly, reminisced about how her dad used to frequent it back when he was in college at Vanderbilt. The news was sudden: they announced on Monday that they would be closing this Friday.

So with heat indexes pushing 110, Kelly and I ventured out to stake our place in line early at the Elliston Place Soda Shop. Despite arriving well before the lunch hour, the place was hopping!

The crowd was rapidly growing Wednesday morning
It was exciting and bittersweet to see so many people - young and very old - eager to eat one last meal at their local spot. The staff was doing a spectacular job of running around and filling made-to-order meals.

Inside the Elliston Place Soda Shop - hopping!
Kelly and I miraculously scored a coveted booth - complete with a personal jukebox! Too bad the cords had evidently been cut. Why, oh why?!

Eating at a diner calls for a very specific, traditional order - burger, fries, and a milkshake. The all-American meal!

My cute Idahoan roommate. Don't worry, that TV camera captured us enjoying some shakes.
I cannot emphasize enough how delicious everything was. The milkshake was make with fresh Purity ice cream (join hands, southerners, and rejoice in how great Purity is). And that burger. Nothing better than a diner burger.

Enough milkshakes for 5-6 glassfuls each. And a phenom-nom-nominal burger. Sorry I'm not sorry Sorry we inhaled the food before photographing.
The day was bittersweet and wonderful. What a shame to discover such a great Nashville eatery just as it's closing!


But readers, have no fear. Today, the Tennessean announced that Elliston Place Soda Shop will remain open for five more years. We saved it! Glory, glory, hallelujah. So hop on your bicycle and head over for some delicious food and great service.

The Elliston Place Soda Shop is located two blocks west of Vanderbilt University at 2111 Elliston Place.

2 comments:

  1. I may have to get a milkshake there before I leave for NY. I went for breakfast one time, and just couldn't justify ordering dessert before 10am...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno... I don't want to be cynical, but I remember a rumor about that place shutting down while I was in college and I too ran over there to have "one last meal"... Are they having perpetual financial problems or is this a weird publicity campaign?

    ReplyDelete