Saturday, October 1, 2011

Worship in Unexpected Places - Part 2

Several years ago, I read Praise Habit: Finding God in Sunsets and Sushi by musician David Crowder. I was struck enough by this quote to add it to my Facebook page at the time:
"What if we were so moved by who God is, what He's done, what He will do, that praise, adoration, worship, whatever, continuously careened in our heads and pounded in our souls? This what we will do for eternity. What makes us think our time on earth should be any different?"
Recently, as I was thinking about stumbling upon worship in unexpected places, I was brought back to this quote. Why shouldn't we worship in all places, at all times? Why does worship have to feel so unexpected when it's not happening in a sanctuary?

For example, I've been learning this fall that worship can be found in friends. I'm not talking about large group gatherings, but one-on-one times. In meaningful conversation and belly laughter. In people who know and love the depths of each others' hearts enough to enter into the mess of life & challenge each other to keep on keepin' on in his or her walk with Christ.

A glimpse: about a week into living in our house, friends Kiely and Fuchs came over for dinner. Not just any dinner, but the first dinner I had ever cooked in my house. It was simple and spontaneous. It started at our hand-me-down dining room table, where I nearly fell out of my seat during grace because our chairs are on casters. Cue belly laughter. Dinner was followed by long conversation on our front porch, sipping out of mason jars and soaking in the warm summer air.

So moved by who God is...
my Father, my Savior, the One whose promises never, ever cease
...what He's done...
delivered me from the depths of Namibia into the arms of Nashville, into the arms of these dear friends
...what He will do...
continue to provide exactly what I need, exactly when I need it
...that worship continuously careens in my head and pounds in my soul.

Striving to recognize worship in the unknown, in the routine, in the mundane. Because if this is what we truly believe, then none of this is mundane. Each moment - especially those in which we partake with our brothers and sisters - should be full of worship and thankfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment