Wednesday, October 5, 2011

TIA Tuesday - Oops

I know it's Wednesday.

I also know that yesterday, I was able to breathe a sigh of relief when I read that Tennessee is one of the only states in America that might not feels the pains of the national pumpkin shortage. Due to droughts, hurricanes, and other extreme weather around the US, it was announced several weeks ago that 2011 would be a pumpkin shortage year. I have been on the pumpkin hunt since then, buying canned pumpkin anytime I see it in the store. My local Kroger's pumpkin shelf has been empty for weeks - and the only day that it did have some, I swept all of the remaining 10 cans off the shelf to stash in my pantry. However, despite the good news for us Tennesseans, they're predicting that pumpkins themselves may be sold out as soon as the 15th.

This Is America, where people hoard pumpkin even though we have complete access to a plethora of other good and healthy foods around every corner.

Not to mention having a car to carry home ten cans of pumpkin (I would never try to hike with those in my backpack!). Or having enough money to buy canned pumpkin. Or buying something that is essentially non-essential, even if it is mouth-wateringly delicious.

TIA.

[An update from NPR. Go ahead. Breathe a sigh of relief.]

1 comment:

  1. Will you cut a good deal for someone who can't find a can of pumpkin on the shelf after all the "hoarders" have been there! I love pumpkin, too, and will probably do some hoarding of it myself! :-)

    ReplyDelete