Saturday, October 1, 2011

Welcome, October!

I learned that it is not okay to share - even with your fellow crazy-about-Christmas friends - that you wore flannel and watched "Elf" while drinking hot chocolate on September 30. Apparently, this is unacceptable to anyone except me. Haters...

So tonight, I tried to think of a more autumnal movie. Am I right when I say there aren't too many? Thankfully, I own just one that is covered in the bright colors of the changing leaves:


This film may not be about fall at all, aside from two outdoor strolling scenes. But it sure is a keeper. Blame it on my mom: she loved this movie, and passed along her love for it to me, albeit belatedly. In fact, it is one of the five movies I took with me to Namibia.

(side note: what are your five "desert island" movies?)


But despite this enchanting autumn scene, I can't possible write about "When Harry Met Sally" without telling you my favorite monologue. Is it too cliche to love this scene? My heart just wrenches.
"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend a day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you're the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize that you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
Sigh.

So welcome, October. Welcome flannel shirts, crisp mornings, hot chocolate, pumpkin EVERYTHING, raking leaves, bowls of Halloween candy, and Christopher Columbus.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't mean to send you into a spiral of negativity. I really didn't. Maybe just add a little pumpkin to your hot chocolate next time or something...

    ReplyDelete