Sunday, October 30, 2011

Inspired

Fall has been a season of intentional inspiration. There are two types of inspired people: active and passive. Passive inspirees like to "pin" things on "Pinterest." Gets your heart giddy but doesn't get you anywhere. Active inspirees see something great and go do it.

I'm in a season of the latter.

As friend & former roommate Mallory so articulated: "As someone whose mind wanders easily (and often into the worry-zone), it's a breath of fresh air to be so focused on an activity that I don't see the time passing and I forget about everything that's annoying or stressful."

So, thanks to supportive roommates, many of our walls are adorned with fall 2011's art projects. I am not an artist. But I've enjoyed taking part in creation these last few months.

Framed Twine Noteboard

This project is super easy and looks much cooler than the classic bulletin board. I found this great frame on clearance at Hobby Lobby in Madison a few months ago. It had no back or glass, so it was perfect for this project. Though its original dark wood was nice, it was a bit damaged, so I painted it a bright coral color.

I took some leftover twine from hanging things in Namibia and strung it across the frame, creating perfect spaces for hanging things. Attaching the twine was the bulk of the project: in the end, I had stapled, tied, and hot glued every end of twine. Perhaps there was an easier way to do this...but at least I know it will never fall apart!

I also found some great mini clothespins at Hobby Lobby with which to hang things that I eventually plan on painting.

To hang it on the wall, I wrapped the twine around the corners and twisted it to make a thicker rope from which it could hang.


It's the perfect place to display save the dates, wedding invitations, notes from friends, prayer cards, and baby shower invites (gasp! how are we old enough to receive those?).

Home Is Where the Heart Is

Over the summer, I saw a brightly colored canvas painting of the state of Texas with a giant heart in it. Of course; everything is bigger in Texas. This got me thinking...why not extend the concept of loving your state the other 49? And why not put the heart specifically over the city you so love?

The first "Home Is Where the Heart Is" that I painted was of the great state of Tennessee - that's where my heart is, after all.


My roommates loved it so much that they urged me to paint four more state paintings: one for each of the places we're from.


For a bit of a closer look...
Glenview, IL
Syracuse, NY
Menlo Park, CA 
Boise, ID
These have been my biggest project this fall. In fact, I love making them so much that I've gladly taken up requests to paint more for other people. I'd love to extend the concept to even more states and countries around the world - but that would be too much canvas at once for one house, so I'll have to wait for commissions.

Mumford-Inspired Wood Letters on Canvas

This is my favorite gem of a creation. It was simple enough: wooden letters painted and glued on canvas. The general concept is to paint the wooden letters the same color as the canvas, making them pop. However, this lyric is so intense that I wanted to throw in some color contrast.
"Sigh No More"
Listen to this and skip on forward to 1:50 if you're short on time:



Hope you're feeling inspired today!

2 comments:

  1. I might need to commission you for a state. Send me a few details :) And let's try to get together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool ideas! And even cooler that you were "actively inspired." You could seriously sell those state canvases! And the letter/quote canvas, too.

    ReplyDelete