Friday, August 26, 2011

Nashville Nugget No. 12 - Grimey's

Okay, okay, Nashville readers. I know what you're thinking. "Grimey's is NOT a restaurant!" You're right. It's not. But when Grimey's gives you free beer and a good time, it qualifies as a Nashville Nugget.

As an after work treat on Wednesday, I headed out with friends Fuchs and Paige to Grimey's for Gabe Dixon's CD release show. I first fell in love with Gabe Dixon's smooth vocals and enchanting piano riffs back in high school...back in the day when you could still download all his music for free from his website.

Glory be, you can still listen to this new album for free (for now) right here. And you should. Because my ears haven't stopped smiling since Tuesday.

But despite my appreciation for Gabe's music, I have never seen him perform live! Thank goodness times are a-changing, because I saw him this week and will get to see him again when he performs with Ten out of Tenn at Live on the Green in October.

What you need to know about Grimey's is this: it's a Nashville institution that sells new & preloved music. It's is located in a big ol' house on 8th Avenue and has bare brick walls and thousands of CDs, vinyls, DVDs, and more crammed into all its rooms. It's a bit overwhelming and overjoyful when you walk in, since there's so much to look at and listen to. Plus, they host in-store music events all the time, including gems like Gabe. This is a music-lover's heaven.

This being my first time ever to Grimey's, I perused the stacks while waiting for friends to arrive. I found a lot of intriguing CDs and was tempted to buy all the Patty Griffin records I could find. Thank goodness for not having much money, or I wouldn't have been able to resist.

About five minutes before The Man came on "stage" (aka in the small space that was cleared of stacks so he could play), the Grimey's staff announced that they had free beer for everyone. What?! After a long day at work, nothing could be more satisfying.

Gabe Dixon was phenom. It was so exciting to hear this voice I've listened to for almost 8 years finally come to life and be performing right in front of me. And to watch him play piano reinvigorated my love of playing and made me want a piano back in my life right now. However, we were a bit disappointed when Fuchs' friend Alison Krauss didn't join him on stage for their duet to "Even the Rain."

Grimey's is great. Gabe Dixon is great. Go enjoy both right now.

Grimey's is located on 8th north of Wedgewood at 1604 8th Ave South.

No comments:

Post a Comment