Monday, August 22, 2011

Nashville Nugget No. 10 - Fox's Donut Den


Back story: I enjoy a good donut. I’m by no means a connoisseur. I do not frequent Dunkin’ Donuts every week. I’ve never bought a box of donuts at the grocery store. But truth be told, I did have weekly coffee dates at Krispy Kreme last fall (close proximity to work, not a love for K^2). And I did spend my entire first spring break of college gallivanting around NYC in search of the elusive Chocolate Cream Dunkin’ Donut.

So, when faithful blog reader Jon suggested a late, late night trip to Nashville’s Donut Den, I couldn’t resist. After all, we share an intense love for the aforementioned Chocolate Cream Donut. He wove tales about this particular Donut Den donut that was an unimaginable combination of donuts and cinnamon rolls and chocolate with butterflies on top.

Butterflies? What about unicorns? I questioned his sanity, too.

But Praise the Sweet Lord who knows donuts are best enjoyed at obscure hours of the night with good friends. Just before midnight, we ventured to Green Hills for my first ever Donut Den experience.

Spirits were high as we waltzed in announcing that it was my first time at the Donut Den. The guy at the counter may have been taken aback by this crazy girl bursting into his establishment late at night, but he stood his ground as I ooh-ed and ahh-ed at what donuts were remaining at the end of the day. Suddenly, I heard a gasp from Jon and friend Niki at the other end of the counter as they spotted one remaining Butterflies & Unicorns Cinnamon Rolls Chocolate Donut Creation (not its actual name, obviously…or maybe it is?). Only one, but thankfully it’s huge and Jon was feeling generous enough to share.

This donut was amazing. I’ve never tasted anything like it, and frankly I don’t even know how to describe it, nor do I know its name, although I think the guys working there recognize it if you ask for the Butterfly Donut. There wasn't even a butterfly on it...but maybe there normally is? We also had a maple donut, classic glazed, a delicious chocolate glazed cake with chocolate frosting and sprinkles, and a few others that went into our bellies too quickly to remember. Y’all, their chocolate frosting can’t be beat.

Eight donuts and three full bellies later, we waddled out of the Donut Den. I don’t know about the other two, but after placing my precious remaining donuts in the fridge for breakfast later that week, I plopped into bed and slept happily.

Full bellies. Happy hearts. Nothing better.

Fox's Donut Den is located near Green Hills at 3900 Hillsboro Road and is open from 5 or 6 in the morning until midnight every day!

2 comments:

  1. I need one real bad. likerightnow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, i can't believe you'd never been there before! i love love love the donut den (although for the sake of my hips, i don't go very often). my absolute favorite donut is the chocolate old-fashioned. best ever. :)

    ReplyDelete