Thursday, August 25, 2011

Nashville Nugget No. 11 - The Smiling Elephant

Y'all. College is back in session. What a joyful imposition it is. Joyful, because what's better than hoards of new freshmen from all of our colleges and universities falling in love with Nashville? Imposition because there are a lot of them going to our favorite places, eating our favorite foods, and using our favorite things.

Which has made me a little more angsty than usual. For example, finding a place to eat last weekend was unthinkable. Every place we tried to go, the lines were out the door or the wait was too long. We didn't even consider going to Burger Up after seeing upwards of 50 people outside their door on Friday. Needless to say, by the end of our search we were at our wits' ends and in desperate need of a meal.

That's when friends Jon & Shannon recommended a place called the Smiling Elephant. "It's Thai food!" they exclaimed. Thai food? Is that spicy? Do I like it? Have I had it before?

(I know I'm on a new "I'll try everything put in front of me" kick this year. I know I ate caterpillars, for Pete's sake. But when you combine late hours and a hungry belly, I'm a lot less enthusiastic about new things. I don't want to risk hating it and still being hungry.)

But to the Smiling Elephant we went. Along the way, they tried to pump me up by reminding me that Nicole Kidman & Keith Urban just ate there. I've been trying for FIVE YEARS to see them, but to no avail (yet). This was a good tactic for getting me excited.

As soon as we pulled into their parking lot and spied their quaint establishment, I had a feeling it'd be a good meal. They've converted an older house into a Thailand-inspired abode (not that I've been to Thailand nor eaten Thai food...not that I'm qualified at all to comment on this). We waited for one of their few (by few, I mean maybe eight) tables to open up while chuckling with the host and ooh-ing and ahh-ing at the entrees on display.

I had no idea what to order. No idea. I know that I don't love love curry, despite them being known for it. So I ordered the Gai Jee, which was grilled marinated chicken with veggies and rice, while Shannon ordere the Pad Thai and Jon ordered the special curry dish.

I don't know if it was the late hour (they're open til 10!) and my hungry tummy, or the genuine goodness of this food, but it was delicious!!! We all cleaned our plates and bore smiles on our faces the entire meal. Plus, it was the perfect portion size - filling, but not too much to need a doggy bag - they kept the cold ice water coming all meal long, which are all great things in my book.

It is necessary to mention our hilarious waitress who, despite English not being her first language, was able to make us laugh like crazy with her sarcasm and humor. Perfect addition to a great meal.

They do take-out as well, for you home-loving foodies out there.

So go try it! Especially when you're looking for a place that none of the tourists or college kids will know about.

The Smiling Elephant is located off 8th Avenue nearish to Wedgewood at 2213 8th Ave South.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon was just talking about going there this afternoon. The guys (Matt, Drew and Bill) went there before and liked it. Thanks for the additional recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete