Sunday, February 20, 2011

Proud Grade 12


Lastly, my Grade 12 learners. Some of them are older then me, and while they do not yet know my actual age, it creates for an interesting dichotomy of teacher and student. English is THE most important subject in Grade 12 – if you do not score highly enough on your final exam in December, you cannot go to any university or college in Namibia. It’s a huge deal and these learners know it. Unfortunately, they’re still kids and are just ready to be done with school like seniors in the US.

Three adjectives: motivated, inspired, hopeful
Age range: 17-24
Average number of learners: 40
Most common first name: Ndamononghenda
Favorite annoying habit: not taking English class seriously despite knowing how important it is – aka sleeping on their desks or dilly-dallying in doing in-class activities
Best lesson: a week-long project on family trees that culminated in them creating their own – fascinating!
Quotes: “We can sing and dance with blessed and happy hearts.” – R (best holiday – Christmas)

“I will also build up centers for orphans because I know that orphans are hte ones who form a big part of street kids...I want to heal the people like Michael Jackson did to most people in the world.” – L (dream job – and yes, she meant THE Michael Jackson)

"We have a new teacher for English from America that I had been praying for since I came at this school." - M (journal entry)

“One holiday me myself and I and my friends we had a party titled ‘Drink beer to save water.’ Oops! I just can’t tell how I went into the bed that evening.” – B (on his first big exam where the prompt was “write about the best day at school last year” – he nestled this hilarious tidbit in the middle of a genuinely awesome essay)

No comments:

Post a Comment