Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lost


At Christmas, my family gave me Season 1 of “Lost.” I never caught onto the “Lost” craze. It was way too fad-like and popular. Plus, I knew if I started watching, I would probably get addicted and never get any other work done. With about 12 shows already in my Hulu queue, I made a concrete decision to never watch it.

But when you’re in Namibia for a year and have a lot of free-time...what better place to start watching?

I almost watched the entire season just last weekend. It really was hard to stop! I just finished the first season tonight...but it took a lot of restraint.

In honor of pro/con lists, here are my pros and cons for Season 1 of “Lost”:

Pros:
- Michael Giacchino. The score for this show is brilliant. Incredible. Awesome. I could watch with my eyes closed an enjoy it just as much.
- the moving themes of grief, trauma, coping, hope, temptation, and adventure.
- real-life story lines. Also a con...but it’s pretty hard not to love a show about magical islands that actually makes the people seem real.

Cons:
- watching “Lost” while you’re an international traveler yourself. I’m really grateful that whenever I fly between Africa and Namibia, there really aren’t many tropical islands to accidentally be stranded for life on. I think if my plane crashes, I’d rather go gracefully in the water than be forced to live on a magical island.
- watching “Lost” at night in a new place in a foreign country. I made that mistake the first night and now never watch it past 7pm. Especially when there’s rumbling thunder in the distance, “Lost” is not the show to be watching.
- real-life story lines. I could almost convince myself that this could really happen. I’m too jumpy and gullible about dramas. Reality check, Karen.

Are any of you “Lost” fans? I only have Season 1 in Namibia, so unfortunately I’ve already exhausted my supply. But come December, I may have to watch a few more seasons...

Two closing thoughts:
1) What happened to Walt??? That’s the ending I’m most concerned about right now. Holy moly.
2) And what’s in the hatch?? Mr. Giacchino certainly made it sound ominous.

No comments:

Post a Comment