Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pancakes


There are many reasons to love pancakes. They’re delicious. They’re nutritious. They’re easy. They’re good at any time. They even make for a good dance...

I love pancakes.
a) Circa 2006, I ate 17 pancakes in one sitting at a pancake breakfast
b) Our suite and the guys next door made ~215 waffles in one semester (okay, not pancakes...but made from the same batter)
c) My last roommate can attest that I could eat pancakes at any meal
d) Pumpkin pancakes...‘nuff said

I’ve quickly fallen into a food routine here that mostly consists of oatmeal for breakfast, peanut butter sandwiches for lunch, and some combo of pasta/sauce/veggies/eggs for dinner.

Being my first weekend home in a while, I woke up this morning and decided to attempt something a little fancier than oatmeal. I found a recipe in the WorldTeach cookbook and was filled with excitement and disappointment. I had all the ingredients! But...I’ve never made pancakes with anything other than a just-add-water box mix (I love taking the easy way out...and they’re still delicious).

Low and behold...these pancakes were DELICIOUS. Being 8,000 miles from the northeast, there is absolutely no maple syrup here. But these were good plain. How ridiculous is that? Hallelujah.

Rejoicing in pancakes!

Peace Corps Pancakes


3 T butter
½ c milk
1 egg
1 c flour           
½ t salt
1 t baking powder
3 T sugar
½ t cinnamon

Melt butter in frying pan. Mix eggs and milk in a bowl. Tilt the frying pan pan so that butter covers the bottom, then pour remainder into the egg mixture. Add remaining ingredients. Mix lightly. Make yo’ pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment