Monday, January 31, 2011

What's in a Name?


What’s in a Name?

I did not anticipate that my name would be such a challenge for Namibians to say. 95% of the time, my name is “Kelleen Maggie.” Sometimes it’s just “Kelly” and some teachers still call me “Ms. McJee.” They all think the McG combination is hilarious. Well, right back atcha Namibia – I think your Nghi combination is ridiculous.

Just a little name demographic for you from my approx. 250 learners:

Top girls’ names:
- Maria
- Rachel/Martha
- Teopolina
- Ndapunikwa
- Ndamononghenda

Top boys’ names:
- Johannes
- Fillipus
- Festus
- David
- Daniel

Top surnames (heaven forbid you say “last names” – no one understands that):
- Paulus
- Kamati
- Johannes
- Fillemon
- Shikongo

Longest first names:
- 14 letters: Ndamononghenda
- 13 letters: Ndeshipandula, Tuyenikomwene, Tufilonghenda
- 11 letters: Ndamanguluka, Hambelelelni, Peneyambeko, Wilhelminah, Twiindileni, Ndayambekwa, Melekisebel, Ndeshipanda
- 10 letters: Ndapunikwa, Selmaoletu, Ndapandula
- 9 letters: Teopolina, Magdalena, Talaohole, Josephine, Margareth, Penombili, Findaneni

What a mouthful! The learners get a kick out of me trying to pronounce their names, but I can honestly say that by day 6 of teaching, I have mastered all except Ndamanguluka...gonna practice that one tonight. Thank goodness they don’t have to fill out bubbles on standardized tests for their names like we do in America – they’d for sure run out of spaces!

No comments:

Post a Comment