Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Peanut Butter Time


I’ve heard it said that you can grow to like (or at least tolerate) any food, as long as you try it seven times. Those who know me well are aware of how adamantly I hate peanut butter. However, living in a situation where snacktime doesn’t exist and it’s difficult to find protein to get you through the day, I began looking for something more substantial for my diet...and I’ve heard it said peanut butter will do the trick.

So here it goes: seven days to love peanut butter. The unfolding of a new love:
Day 1: thin layer of PB on half a slice of white bread; gagged on the first bite; not excited about doing this for six more days
Day 2: no gagging, but a lot of nasty face-making
Day 3: tolerance; ate a whole piece of white bread with peanut butter on it
Day 4: I think I might like it? And it’s only the fourth day!
Day 5: first whole peanut butter sandwich; no gagging, no face-making
Day 6: dare I say that I enjoy – maybe even really like – eating peanut butter?
Day 7: returned to the kitchen late at night for a peanut butter sandwich after already having eaten one that morning. A new love has been born!

There you have it. Call me crazy, but it’s true. I love love love food...especially foods that elicit spontaneous “mmms” and joy. Now I get to add a new one to the list!

What should my next food be? Suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Well, if you're gonna love peanut butter, you must try it with chocolate. There is no substitute.
    As for a new food that will sustain you in Africa, I think your pallet will be challenged enough just being there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd suggest pb and honey as a nice combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo Nanette: PB and honey go great together! I also love PB with Nutella, bananas, or both!

    ReplyDelete