Monday, January 3, 2011

Many Roads


One of my favorite Nashville artists, Andrew Peterson, came out with a new album at the beginning of Fall 2011. A group of us was lucky enough to find out about the CD release and witness the play-through of the CD in Tennessee. On our roadtrip to Tsumeb this morning, I put it on and listened to it in full for the first time in a while. Each song is so packed with depth, poetry, and beauty, and Namibia was the perfect background for a refresher.

“You can see the roads that we all traveled just to get here
A million miniscule decisions in a line
And why they brought us to this moment isn’t clear,
But that’s alright, we’ve got all night.
Could it be that the many roads you took to get here
Are for me to tell this story and for you to hear this song?
And your many hopes and your many fears
Were meant to bring you here all along.”
(“Many Roads”)

This song has been a favorite of my Nashville friends for a while, but it held a whole new weight when I heard it today. I am grateful for a heart that feels too full when I’m surrounded by good people. Those of us who just arrived all come from such different places in life – locations, careers, relationships, passions – and ended up here in Namibia. And the people we have meet here are all from such diverse backgrounds. Yet we were all put in this moment together. It may not be clear why or how, or how these relationships will be used in our lives, but God’s fingerprints are all over it. And for that I am more thankful than I can put words to. I’m eager for the year ahead and the people God will put in my life who came from many roads to this one spot. We were meant to be right here all along.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderfully reassuring to read about your experiences of African wildlife encounters and to know that you are getting extra protein in your food too. I'll try not to freak out either as you continue to describe your adventures. Love you.

    ReplyDelete