Friday, January 14, 2011

Just Another Food Post...


Last night for traditional dinner, I indulged in this Namibian cuisine:


Oshiwambo chicken. Yes, that is a chicken foot. And yes, I did gnaw on it. No, it was not very satisfying, but it definitely was not disgusting.

I also ate chicken liver last night, which was OH SO GOOD.

We went to the market a few days ago and ate kapana and fat cakes. Yum!! Kapana is fresh meat from cows that are killed at the market that morning and cooked immediately. Freshest meat you’ll ever eat. And fat cakes. Ohhhhhh fat cakes. I’m hoping they won’t be the cause of my obesity while I’m here. Fat cakes (or oukuki in Oshikwanyama) are traditional Namibian fried dough. Every country seems to have its own version of fried dough, and I’m convinced that I will always love it wherever I go. Much greasier and doughier than my current favorite fried dough: beignets in New Orleans. They’re made fresh at the market and served wrapped in newspaper, which means you’re eating a blue- or green-tinged fat cakes by the end because of the newsprint.

And tonight? I learned that I like beets. A lot.

So much deliciousness. Don’t worry, Dad, I’m eating very very well here. My tummy is happy for all the new foods in my life!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're eating so well. Just be careful with those fat cakes; I don't want you to turn into an oukuki monster.

    ReplyDelete