Monday, November 21, 2011

Nashville Nugget No. 13.5: The Cocoa Tree:Revisited

My, oh my. Remember when I was told in September that it was not Hot Chocolate Season yet? And we had to order this crazy drink called a Frozen Cocoalato? And it was knock-your-socks-off amazing? And I vowed to return once Hot Chocolate Season hit?

Praise the sweet Lord - 'tis the Season (though I don't think I'll ever understand why some people don't celebrate year-round...kind of like Christmas. Shouldn't we celebrate the birth of our Savior and the creation of God's favorite drink every day? I digress...)! And praise His name for a sister who will venture out for some with me!

The lovely Sister
The Cocoa Tree website boasts in eleven mouth-watering flavors of award-winning hot chocolate: Classic, Americana, Mayan, Carmella, S'more, Passion, Cocoa Mocha, Pepperminty, Confetti, Lavender, and Simplicity. However, it appears that this season, they're only offering up two flavors: plain and Mayan. Lest you become disappointed and vow never to visit the Cocoa Tree, read on.

When we arrived at their humble shop in Germantown, they were just starting a fresh batch of cocoa. While we were waiting, we were handed homemade Graham cracker cookies dusted in sugar. "To dip in your hot chocolate - it's divine!" we were told. My word, it takes a lot of restraint to not gobble down a fresh cookie when it looks this tasty. But we were glad we exercised self-control because dipping fresh cookies in hot chocolate sure is divine.


The Cocoa Tree's hot chocolate is beyond decadent. Fresh whipped cream, whole milk, melted Cocoa Tree chocolate. They have cozy chocolate brown chairs by their front windows surrounded by fall decor, setting the scene for the perfect mid-afternoon break. I ordered the regular with whip while Jen ordered the Mayan sans whip. Their regular hot chocolate was thick and full of so much chocolatey flavor that I am unable to find the right words to describe it. The Mayan hot chocolate was surprisingly tasty, too - it added just enough extra heat, but not so much as to light your sinuses on fire.

This hot chocolate is by far the best hot chocolate in Nashville. Though I have to admit, it is so rich that I would not normally opt for it as my daily hot chocolate. But if I'm ever looking to indulge, this is the first place I'd go.

It is so worth a visit. Get over there while the Season is upon us to enjoy Nashville's (and America's?) best hot chocolate - and take me with you, please?

The Cocoa Tree is located in Germantown near 5th and Madison at 1200 5th Ave. N.

No comments:

Post a Comment