Saturday, November 12, 2011

Ode(s) to Burritos

I am an award-winning poet.

On Thursday, coworker Adam gasped as this was tweeted:


So began the great inter-office competition of the morning. Nashville-wide, really. We were up against a lot of avid Baja fans...all being judged by distinguished Rabbit Room author Jonathan Rogers. Naturally, I could think of nothing other than devoting my morning to writing as many burrito haikus as possible. When you combine my salary and my love for Baja burritos, I had to win.

Enjoy these twelve separately submitted haikus. Which is your favorite?

Deep fall's setting in
Chicken, beans, cheese, and veggies
Snuggling in a sack.

Return from abroad?
Baja B is all I need.
Cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese.

Wednesday lunch date's here
It's the hotbed of romance
Baja loves the love.

Cheese on cheese on cheese;
Vats of queso fill my soul.
Uh oh - more chips please?

My heart aches deeply
Without Baja in my tum
Please bring me back home.

I'm no wordsmith, but
For a sweet, free burrito
I'll pour out my soul.

Even Mexico
Smiles on your tasty delights.
You have won, Baja.

GSM loves food
Baja fills us every week
Soulmates til the end

A new corner sign?
"Will haiku for free Baja."
Send love to the streets

Queso hits the floor
Tears welling in my sad eyes
Cry over spilt cheese.

Six months in Namib
Black beans were not to be found
Baja's all I craved

The day's end is nigh
Poetic burritos are
Floating through my dreams.

Later that day, dreams came true:


Don't worry: Adam won a free burrito, too ("cover me in guac / wrap me in tortillas soft / home away from home"). Global Support Mission swept 1/5 of the burritos. Talk about winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment