Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Hundred Gifts

Last spring, I read the wildly popular book, A Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. She challenges readers to live fully right where they are. I was most challenged to start being visibly grateful - physically writing down ways that I am thankful. That has resulted in a really special tradition that I'll tell you about in a few weeks. But today, it spurred me on to begin this list. I knew I would not have the time to make it to 1,000, so I decided to start small with ten. But when I hit that, I couldn't stop. 

In no particular order, here are 100 things I'm grateful for this Thanksgiving. To you and yours, thanks for being a part of my joy.

1. Grace in all moments of life and the undeserved gift of a Savior.
2. My dad. My real life Bobby McGee.
3. My sister. Beautiful.
4. My job at Global Support Mission.
5. My coworkers. They like working hard just as much as they like coffeeshops, free food, field trips, and Arrested Development.
6. A safe, warm home.
7. The 12 South neighborhood.
8. My front porch swing.
9. Max the Matrix, who continues to persevere through all kinds of harrowing weather.
10. Sweet roommates.
11. Weekly coffee dates.
12. My community group.
13. Women's nights with my community group.
14. The kids in my community group who can't help but make me smile and love them more and more each day.
15. Text messaging.
16. Sundays at Grace Community Church. The music, the preaching, the fellowship.
17. Our post-grad blog.
18. Novel-long emails.
19. Skype, gchat, and every other form of communication that instantly connects us to friends around the world.
20. Those who have supported me financially through so many crazy endeavors.
21. Sunsets.
22. The days when God boots my butt out of bed to catch the sunrise.
23. The Namibian sky.
24. My Vanderbilt education.
25. My mother's legacy.
26. Airplanes.
27. Stargazing and nights when you can see the Milky Way.
28. Youth @ Grace and the ways they teach me to love and pursue Christ.
29. Prayer.
30. Books. Most importantly, the Good Reads listed on the right.
31. Our book club. And When Helping Hurts. And spending 3+ hours discussing single chapters.
32. Dreaming with friends about what the coming years will hold.
33. Friends getting engaged. And friends getting engaged to other friends.
34. Roadtrips. And not hitchhiking.
35. God's protection through all my Namibian hitchhiking adventures.
36. Laughter at family dinners.
37. Chips Ahoy, Kraft Mac & Cheese, M&Ms, and all other packaged American foods.
38. Snail mail.
39. Childhood memories in Glenview, IL.
40. My British grandmother who always makes us chuckle.
41. Free live music.
42. Hot chocolate.
43. Friends, kindred spirits, soulmates, and bosom buddies.
44. Warm blankets.
45. Thrift stores and garage sales.
46. Waking up in the morning.
47. Hard lessons.
48. Photo memories.
49. Hope.
50. The bassoon.
51. TV on DVD.
52. Comedies that actually make me laugh.
53. Doctors.
54. Opportunity to travel.
55. A warm, comfortable (free) bed.
56. The ginormous spruce tree in front of my childhood home.
57. Cheese.
58. The Body of Believers.
59. Microsoft Excel.
60. Flannel.
61. One-on-one, heart-to-heart conversations.
62. Knowing someone and being known.
63. Hiking.
64. Michigan.
65. Lazy days.
66. Time to knit.
67. The unconditional love of a dog.
68. Quotes. And the wise people who spoke them.
69. Freedom.
70. Michael's & Hobby Lobby.
71. Baby's smiles.
72. Fresh, too-hot, just-undercooked baked goods.
73. That moment when you first wake up and your whole day balances on the precipice of the unknown.
74. Walks.
75. A body that continues to function.
76. Hugs and snuggles.
77. Cooking together.
78. Concerts at the Ryman Auditorium.
79. Windows down, music up, heat on feet.
80. The depth and breadth of human emotion.
81. Good wine.
82. Apple products.
83. Ceiling fans.
84. Time to be.
85. Local Nashville eateries and coffeeshops.
86. The ties that bind.
87. Growing up at Glenview Community Church.
88. Parents who taught us how to love well by example.
89. Organizational tools and Staples.
90. Friendreunions.
91. Basking in the beauty of nature.
92. Journaling.
93. The college community that continues to be knit together so tightly.
94. Walking alongside friends in difficult seasons.
95. Christmastime allthetime.
96. Seasons.
97. Hot water, high-pressure showers.
98. Dishwashers and garbage disposals.
99. Reminders of home(s).
100. Coming home to my immediate and extended family.

1 comment:

  1. i feel pretty responsible for #18. definitely not #46.

    thankful for YOU miss karen :)

    ReplyDelete