Thursday, September 22, 2011

Nashville Nugget No. 13 - The Cocoa Tree (also known as "Nashville's Best Hot Chocolate")

While I was away in Namibia, a friend sent me a list of the top 50 hot chocolates in the US with the disclaimer, "one of these is in Nashville!" Be still, my heart...I wonder if it's on my list! Considering myself a hot chocolate connoisseur, I have tried nearly every hot chocolate in this city over the last few years. But what to my wondering eyes did appear but a hot chocolate that I had NEVER tried!

(don't worry: this factored into my decision to expedite my return to the States)

Travel & Leisure lists The Cocoa Tree as on of America's best hot chocolates, boasting in its 12 different flavors and homemade marshmallows. I've been drooling since January over this and finally found a friend who was daring enough to venture to Germantown for this delectable treat.

Unfortunately, it's not "hot chocolate season." What?? There's a season? I tried to tell the girl at the counter that I indulge in hot chocolate year round, but she wasn't buying it. "You'll have to wait until later this fall," she told us. "Maybe in a couple of weeks. Do you want a Frozen Cocoalato instead?" Fellow cocoa lover Jon and I exchanged excited and questionable glances and unabashedly asked, "what is THAT?" She boastfully declared, "it's our very own homemade frozen chocolate drink."

Yes and yes. Duh.

We paid $4.29 for these suckers...quite the pricetag. But as soon as we lifted our drinks from the counter, Jon laughed and said, "We should have been working out before this!"

[photo cred]
This drink was substantial in weight, size, and deliciousity. I didn't write this post yesterday because it's taken me almost 24 full hours just to process what my taste buds experienced and try to put words to it.

The Frozen Cocoalato is a thick, rich chocolate drink with a blast of cinnamon (and other spices?) and a generous heap of homemade whipped cream on top. It is nearly as thick as a milkshake - but definitely not a milkshake. It is decadent to the core and left my tummy full and happy for the rest of the afternoon. And it is totally worth the pricetag.

There are a few other notable things about The Cocoa Tree:
- It's located on the picturesque streets of Germantown and has a small area of patio seating out front. So enjoyable on a warm fall day.
- The store smells absolutely divine. I have been unable to confirm whether they actually make (cook? bake?) all of their chocolates in-house, but it certainly smells as if they do.
- They have big comfy chairs inside. The teal and dark chocolate decor is very warm & inviting.
- One review admits that they have a whole room in the back dedicated to bridesmaids. I don't know what that means, but I want it.
- Their truffles are famous and said to be legendary! We didn't venture past the Frozen Cocoalato on this visit, but all of their chocolate creations looked delicious.

I added myself to their mailing list while I was there, so expect a follow-up post when we're finally able to return and try all 12 flavors of hot chocolate at The Cocoa Tree. In the meantime, while it's still warm out, venture over and grab yourself this crazy Frozen Cocoalato creation - you won't be sorry!

As owner Bethany Thouin writes, "Chocolate is evidence that God delights in our pleasure!"

The Cocoa Tree is located in Germantown near 5th and Madison at 1200 5th Ave. N.

No comments:

Post a Comment