Tuesday, November 8, 2011

TIA Tuesday - Where in the World is Matt Lauer? Edition

Yesterday morning, I was was greeted by a barrage of texts at work from various friends all asking the same question: "have you seen the Today Show?!"

In fact, I have been an avid "Today Show" watcher for the majority of my life, but yesterday morning in particular, I opted to watch DVR-ed shows with my roommate instead. TIA.

My favorite annual segment had just begun and for the tenth time, all of America was asking itself, "Where in the world is Matt Lauer?"

I still vividly remember Matt Lauer visiting Victoria Falls during this week-long segment in 2004. The majestic wall of water behind him is not something you'd soon forget, and I can't say I didn't think about that shot often as I rued not having the opportunity to visit Vic Falls while I was in southern Africa.

Well...guess where Matt was on Monday?? You guessed right: Namibia, Land of the Brave. Wow! Is Namibia really starting to become a household name?

While I did not have the opportunity to watch it live, the seven videos on the Today Show website are breath-taking to say the least. I don't think I'm remiss in saying that Namibia is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and strangest countries in the world.

But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a little - okay, very - strange to see these sights on American TV and hear such a well-known American host say the name "Namibia" and talk about my country. I realized that the only time I ever hear anyone say "Namibia," it's in a conversation that I've initiated.

Matt did a great job of displaying the great tourist and environmental attractions - and as my dad reminded me, this is a "fluff piece" - but I was disappointed at how Namibia was skewed. Having read other commentaries on his segment, everyone is touting the great environmental efforts, support for education, and happy relations within Namibia. But having lived there for six months - with many dear friends there even longer - I will aver that this is only the shiny exterior of Namibia. There is still a great deal of complacency, ambivalence, uneasiness, and isolation in Namibia. Race relations are still strained and the political surface is tender as it's such a young country. As Matt mentioned, there is a lack of rain in the country, but he failed to acknowledge the horrifying effects of what are soon becoming devastating yearly floods in the central north. He failed to mention the central north at all. Over half of the country's population lives there, for heaven's sake. I was only further tempted to roll my eyes when he solely mentioned the Himba - a people group already greatly recognized, photographed, and gawked at by the Western world. Oh wait, I think I spotted some Oshiwambo dresses among that group of women dancing behind him in the desert...

However, all that aside, it was heartwarming to see these magnificent sites from my country and fun to be able to identify them all from this side - something not many Americans have the privilege of doing. I loved seeing Bismarck St. in Luderitz, the bread factory in Kolmanskop, and the great Namib Desert. I giggled when Savannah Guthrie was drinking a Savanna Dry in the bush (oh, how I miss that). I giggled when the tour guide told them they would see the elephants "just now," only to arrive at their destination three hours later. And I was reminded of what a struggle it is for most people to say Namibia as Ann stumbled over its pronunciation every time.

Check out these videos from the "Today Show" - really, I'm serious. You won't be sorry.
(and if you're reading thru Google Reader, click open this post to view the videos)


Skeleton Coast, dunes


More Namibia overview


Dunes, shipwreck, NWR (yay!)


Himba Tribe


Animals (and as my dad said, "Okay, that baby elephant is cute!")


Diamonds, sights from Kolmanskop and Luderitz


Dunes and Namibia's extreme sports


Crazy creatures in the desert

No comments:

Post a Comment