Monday, January 9, 2012

The Year of Anticipated Stability

Guess what? I don't really know what stability feels like anymore. Despite growing up in the same friendly suburb - and essentially the same house - for the first 18 years of life, the last six have brought nothing but change, change, change. Moving to and from home & college for four years; packing up for a month in Africa; changing majors and lifeplans; moving in and out of dorms and storage units in Nashville; graduating; moving home; moving back to Nashville; two internships; moving to Namibia; moving back to Nashville; working full-time. It's enough to give me whiplash just thinking about it!

As I was having coffee (at a great new coffeeshop!) with a friend last week, we were talking New Years and resolutions and what this year may bring. In that moment, I realized that this is the first time that I get to look forward on a year of relative stability. I'm not planning on leaving Nashville, leaving my job, moving homes, getting married, or having a baby. Surely, any one of these things has the potential to change. But it's the first time in many years that I'm not anticipating change or planning on picking up my life and spinning it around.

Let's all breathe a huge sigh of relief and expectation.

So in addition to aforementioned resolutions, 2012 is looking to be a year of stability. Which may bring me as much trouble as saying "it can't be worse than 2011." But I'll take my chances.

Glory be.

No comments:

Post a Comment