Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Why I'm Wearing White

"A religious body's right to self-governance must include the ability to select, and to be selective about, those who will serve as the very 'embodiment of its message.'" - Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito (9-0 opinion, Hosanna-Tabor v. EEOC)
Have you read this article yet?

Vanderbilt University has recently altered their non-discrimination policy in a way that disables the ability of student groups to choose their leaders based on principles of faith. While the University loves to boast in its diversity and lack of discrimination, in truth they are asking the entire body to conform to a homogenous set of values and rules that simply don't make sense across all student groups.

My own college experience and formative young adult years, and those of my dear friends, were deeply shaped by religious organizations at Vanderbilt: Reformed University Fellowship, CRU, the Baptist Collegiate Ministry, Beta Upsilon Chi, Vandy Catholic, InterVarsity, Navigators, and more. The beauty of these organizations' roles on campus is now in a perilous place.

I am proud to be a Commodore...most days. Today is not one of those days.

Please join me and many others across the nation in praying for our University's administration, leaders, staff, and students as they meet at an unprecedented Town Hall meeting tonight about the implementation of the new policies. Pray that the Lord may be glorified through the words and actions of the Body of Christ at Vanderbilt.

Today, I am wearing white to support my comrades at Vanderbilt. I am wearing white to display my convictions that religious organizations should be able to make decisions based on their religious beliefs. I am wearing white as a Commodore, as a Christian, and as a human. Join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment