Saturday, January 7, 2012

Obligatory New Years Post

Every good blogger writes a New Years post. When January 1 came and went, I sighed and resigned myself to being a terrible blogger. Later, I decided that there's no better way to start of the new year than with a little procrastination; I would simply write my big post a week later.

(PS does New Year(')s need an apostrophe? Hmm...)

In mid-December, I started making the harrowing mistake of telling friends that "there is no way 2012 can be worse than 2011." This past year was the most trying of my life: circumstantially, emotionally, developmentally. I have had dark seasons before, but nothing that has so engulfed a specific calendar year. Surely things have to get better this year, right?

2011 was a year in which I lost myself. While my firm foundation in Christ has steadfastly prevailed, I've spent an entire year not recognizing myself. Who is this person who quits major commitments? Who is this girl who would rather stay home every night than plan relentless social ventures? Who is this person who struggles to feel the joy and enthusiasm that shined so brightly from 1988-2010?

Thus, I've decided that 2012 is going to be a year of rediscovery, healing, and hope. I pray to learn the lesson of continual deepjoy that Christ preaches. I am eager to know the woman that the Lord knit Karen McGee to be - not just in place and profession, but in personality, emotions, reactions, love, strengths, weaknesses, and desires. I am desperately in need of soul-healing after this past year. I'm hopeful that I can remain hopeful in the midst of whatever 2012 throws at me.

In that vein, while I did not have any resolutions when the clock (or "moonpie," as it happens in Memphis) struck midnight last weekend, I have pondered long and hard and come up with three simple things I'd like to do in the next 358 days:
  1. run a full marathon
  2. immerse myself in the word daily
  3. learn to play the hammered dulcimer
Join me in hoping without disappointment as we kick of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment