Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Where were YOU one year ago?

One year ago today, I was on a plane to Namibia. In fact, I think we were an hour away from a stopover in Dakar, Senegal just about now.

My life was packed into two 50-pound suitcases and a backpack. I'd left behind more people and stuff than I cared to count. I met twelve new friends that day...friends to laugh with, friends to cry with...kindred spirits who understand the ins and outs of living in rural Namibia more than anyone else in my life. We were embarking on a three-week rollercoaster orientation that included copious fat cakes, kapana, too many bottles of Tall Horse, life stories, bugs in our beds, odd Namibian-style American meals, springbok births, and lots and lots of Yum Yum. We were preparing ourselves for teaching & living in the bush. We were saying goodbye to the comforts of America and the close proximity of friends & family who know us deeply. We were giving up quality cheese and ice cream and hot showers and short shorts and things too dear to mention.

Despite the challenges 2011 has presented, I wouldn't give it up. If I were stepping into December 28, 2010 again, I would still get on that plane with an overwhelmingly excited spirit and a few tears in my eyes. Here's to one year later...

If you just joined the blog and missed my posts from Namibia, you can still read them all in reverse order here or you can check out select photos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment