Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Nativity

Recently, my longing for a nativity set of my very own has grown to an incredible strength. Blame it on my German heritage, but this year I knew I had to make an investment in my rest-of-my-life Nativity set. It's something everyone should have, really.

After much consideration, I eagerly decided to buy one from Red Earth Trading Co. Red Earth is the direct trade, sustainability piece of Global Support Mission, the organization with which I work. I have the honor of working with Red Earth every day, overseeing inventory and shipping out orders. Bias aside, Red Earth is awesome. Have you seen their 2011 promo video? Pretty neat stuff. Red Earth partners with artisans in Kenya and Uganda with which they have close relationships. They promote continued economic development, entrepreneurship, and community development by buying the products these artisans make and selling them back home and throughout the world. They do this primarily through house parties and online sales.

This year, one of our beloved artisans, Johnson, made several Christmas products for Red Earth. Johnson is a young man who owns a family-run business outside of Nairobi, Kenya. He is somewhat of an expert in working with banana fiber and Red Earth has sold his Banana Fiber Trees since the beginning. For Christmas 2011, he crafted angel ornaments and nativity sets for Red Earth.

As I said, I had the privilege of buying one of the few nativity sets available this year. To say I love it is an understatement. Ask anyone who's entered my house this December and they'll tell you that the first thing I point out is my nativity set. It is beautiful.


The Red Earth Nativity Set comes with 11 figurines - Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus, the angel, two goats, a shepherd, and four others - and the stable, which holds them all together when you don't have your nativity set out (although let's be honest: I'm never putting this thing away). It is pristinely constructed out of banana fiber, leaves, and seeds and is entirely handmade by Johnson.

Unfortunately, these guys sold out at lightning speed before December even began. But do not fear - you can still buy one of his four stunning angel ornaments here


Don't worry: I bought one of each of these, too. They look great on a Christmas tree, on a doorknob, or dangling from your rearview mirror (may limit front window visibility...). Although you've missed the boat for shipments by Christmas, Red Earth does free and speedy shipping on every order. So hop on over and order something for yourself and all of your loved ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment